Monday, August 27, 2012

Color-coded Bookcase

I've been redoing my office over the past few weeks, and this past weekend I decided to tackle the bookcases.  I wanted a fun and creative way to display my books so I did a Google Images search and came across this.
  


Make fun of me all you want, but I'm a Lauren Conrad fan.  I'm not sure if it's because people have stopped to tell me, "you look like that girl Lauren from The Hills" since the show started airing (I don't really see the resemblance), or if it's because of her love for fashion, DIY, cooking, and being a successful, independent, business woman, but I like her.  I've followed her blogs and clothing lines over the years and am rarely disappointed (her fictional books were pretty cheesy), so it doesn't surprise me that she made the piece that served as my inspiration.

What I like most about these bookshelves are the color-blocking and layering.  She added picture frames and tchotchkes to the clusters of books and magazines to create depth and height.  It makes each shelf interesting and fun to look at.  



I started out with two of these.  I got them at a furniture consignment store about a year ago for $40.00 each.  They were a cherry wood color when I bought them, but I wasn't a huge fan so I grabbed a can of paint from my garage and painted these babies white! 



Next it was time to pick and choose from this mess.  I had to remove everything from the smaller bookcases to paint them and stacked everything (very neatly, as you can see) on this bookcase.  Just looking at this picture gives me a little anxiety! 


I started by pulling all the books and sorting/stacking them by color and ended up with four color groups: reds, whites, pinks, blacks/blues.  This worked out perfectly because I knew I wanted to use the bottom shelf on both bookcases for photo boxes and magazine storage so four shelves remained.




Next, I just started stacking and building, shelf by shelf!  I looked around my house for tchotchkes and nicknacks in the color schemes, adding and removing as I went.  Here's what I came up with...






They're more like mini-versions, but I love them!  Such an easy, free project you can do with existing things in your home!




Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment