Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Project Dining Room: The Inspiration

When I bought my house last year, I had very clear vision for the overall look and style. I'm a shabby-chic-"vintagey"-cottage kind of girl.  I love old things.  I love using old things in new ways. I even love new things that look old.  Some rooms had very clear visions and directions where I was shopping for certain pieces, while others, like my dining room, just needed furniture because I had no idea what I wanted the room to look like.  At the time, with no clear direction for this room and just giving most of my life savings away as a down payment on this lovely house, I went to craigslist.  I ended up with the most gorgeous hand carved cherry wood dining room set from an estate sale.  It had been used twice and cost the seller $6,000.00...score!  It had two leaves making it up to 120" long, seating like 16 people comfortably.  After the first holiday season, my friends named it "The Last Supper Table" because of its size.  

After a year of designing other rooms, it was time for my dining room to get some attention. After looking at this beautiful set and realizing not only was it totally too formal for me and so not my style, it was wayyyyyy too big for my dining room, went with nothing else in my house, and needed to go.  So I started doing some dream-browsing...looking through old home design magazines, browsing the web.  Finally, I found it...THE ONE.  


White base, natural wood top, with white/wicker seat chairs...yes please!

For the price of $2,500.00, it was mine!  Who am I kidding though?  I don't need to spend that much on one piece of furniture at this point in my life.

So I decided to make my own.  

Cool idea?  Definitely. 
Difficult?  Probably.

Stay tuned!  More to come! 

No comments:

Post a Comment